Friday, June 15, 2012

Strawberry Spinach Bread


















Look at all those garden fresh rubies.

It's hard to believe that four strawberry plants
have turned into this whole bead. I don't use
fertilizer or pesticides.

























So, these guys are really helpful at keeping
the bugs away.










































AND, they are so much fun to see around
the garden too!

All the hard work the ladybugs did in the
strawberry bed this year has left us with a
ton of berries.

So, I got to experiment with a few and came
up with Strawberry Spinach Bread.
Why spinach, you ask??? I'm evil and I like
to get back at my children by sneaking
vegetables into their treats. HA!

In a large bowl cream together,
1/2c. melted butter
1c. sugar
1-1/2t. lemon extract
1t. vanilla extract
1/4c. milk
1 egg
1-1/2c. strawberries pureed
1c. processed spinach

Add the wet ingredients to the dry.
2c. wheat flour
1T. or 2T. ground flax seed
1t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4t. salt
Once combined fold in
1/4c. diced strawberries
1/2c. slivered almonds
AND if you so desire 1c. white chocolate chips

I like baking in mini pans, it makes freezing 
and portion control really easy.
This recipe filled four mini bunt pans nicely.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.


Yum

Love the flavors and texture.
Almonds add a nice bite and you don't taste the
spinach. Just lemon and strawberry.

Most important my kids like it. Confession, non made it to
the freezer. They snacked on it all week. ;)

Thanks to the ladybug and all their hard work. We'll be berry
pick-en in the backyard all season.

Come check out all the fun at Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons and
I've been ask to link up over at Just Winging It come check out the fun!






7 comments:

  1. I am inviting you to my blog hop:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/06/show-your-stuff-30-redid-no-fail.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good to me! Did you know that you can substitute many vegetables in breads and cakes? Try substituting peas rather than carrots in carrot cake or bread - you will never know the difference except for color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great! I love spinach and strawberries! I have to try this!

    a new follower! Would love for you to visit mine!

    riversrecipereview.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for participating in Show Your Stuff Blog Hop, You are invited to come back:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/07/show-your-stuff-31.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't those little ladybugs sweet....

    ReplyDelete